L to R: Melissa Hendon Deters, member; Krista Taracuk, member;
Beverly Cain; State Librarian;John Myles, President;
Jennifer Thompson McKell, Vice-President; Laurie Gemmill Arp, member
About the State Library Board
The State Library is governed by a five-member board. The Board members are appointed by the State Board of Education and each member serves a five-year term of office. Under the Ohio Revised Code, section 3375.01, the State Library Board is responsible for the State Library of Ohio and a statewide program of development and coordination of library services. Specific powers of the State Library Board include:
- Maintain the State Library, holding custody of books, periodicals, pamphlets, films, recordings, papers, and other materials and equipment.
- Accept, receive, administer, and expend, in accordance with the terms thereof, any moneys, materials, or other aid granted, appropriated, or made available to it for library purposes by the United States, or any of its agencies, or by any other source, public or private.
- Administer such funds as the General Assembly may make available to it for the improvement of public library services, interlibrary cooperation, or any other library purposes.
- Approve, disapprove, or modify resolutions for establishment of county district libraries.
- Approve, disapprove, or modify resolutions to redefine boundaries resulting from school district consolidations.
- Amend, define, or adjust the boundaries of library districts submitting applications for changes in their boundaries.
- Encourage and assist the efforts of libraries and local governments to develop mutual and cooperative solutions to library service problems.
- Recommend to the Governor and to the General Assembly such changes in the law as will strengthen and improve services and operations.
- Adopt such rules as are necessary for the carrying out of any function imposed by law.
The State Library Board usually meets in the State Library of Ohio Conference Room D, 274 East First Avenue. Updated information can be obtained by calling (614) 644–7061.
|May 28, 2015||10:00 a.m. Business meeting|
|July 16, 2015||10:00 a.m. Business meeting|
|September 17, 2015||10:00 a.m. Business meeting|
|October 29, 2015||10:00 a.m. Business meeting|
|December 8, 2015||10:00 a.m. Business meeting|
|January 21, 2016||10:00 a.m. Business meeting|
|March 17, 2016||10:00 a.m. Business meeting|
|May 19-20, 2016||Board retreat (TBD)|